Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mysterious Force

"In contrast to common opinion, I would say that color has a force more mysterious and even more powerful; it acts, so too speak, without being aware of it"

Eugene Delacroix

I find the above statement to be one of the most important, but subtle aspects of painting. I have studies color theory deeply, including Munsell's color paths. All of this is very important, but the most important thing that I have learned, is that color is associative. You cannot imagine the effect until you actually put the color next to the other and see. The set of relationships is always different, so my minds eye can sort of see vague ideas of color, but nothing is really seen until it's down.
I like the term speak when referring to color, because it is a language. A language that must be developed by the artist for his own self.

I would like to read more of what Delacroix has to say about color. His descriptions show the infinite complexity that can bring about form and light. But I am interested in content as well. When someone looks at the painting and responds, but cannot explain why.

The biggest challenge has been to focus the painting while retaining the cohesive whole.
The figure in my painting is not necessarily depicted. The relationship between the setting or place, and what is going on in that place is the most important to me.
There has to be the human drama. I don't think that it is necessary for the figure to be stuck in there literally.
Somehow Rothko was able to have the marriage of content and form. There is the human drama without the figure.
Somehow, I want to show the human drama at a closer range than the landscape setting, like Titian, but without the literal depiction.