Sunday, October 5, 2008

3D Color Tree

The way that colors are revealed on my imagination is very fast and has no room for reason. In order to follow in this accord, I must be very organized on my palette. My colors are organized in respect to both hue angle and value. The only problem is that you need 3 dimensions to do this because the CIECAM planes are in 360 degrees and black white and gray are all in the middle. The question is, Where to put the greens?, and how not to mix up dark yellows oranges and reds?

In order to do this I have to continually reorganize my palette. Color must be seen and used associatively, it cannot be reasoned.

Content will always reveal itself in the most unpredictable ways. The best is not to think about it and use your instincts. I think about how Rothko conveys his tragic view without any image. I also think about how Titian digs deep into the mysterious content of his late paintings and what is being said by both is essentially the same. Content is not the subject matter solely. It is what is really being said, what is at the heart of being communicated.

Getting color to speak in ways that cannot be communicated by any other means is what painting is all about.