Sunday, August 9, 2009

Abstract Painting

The transition of my paintings from abstracted representations derived from drawings in the field, to paintings starting from various sensations coming from multiple levels of experience is happening on its own accord.
I think that music plays a major part in this transition. Usually, a song comes from playing around with some form that catches my whim. Then, before I know it , I'm on to something. The thing that sustains me is a flash of something I think I hear while simultaneously playing.
The hardest thing to let go of, is the concrete form. The image which is always there to go back to. A form is still there. It is just different. It is no longer an armature that represents some kind of image preconceived before the execution. It is still a type of armature, but it is not at all the same.
The form is there, etched somewhere between an unchanging grid, and a quick glimpse which embodies more of a tangible place which is felt and sensed in entirety.
This presents a problem for me technically to keep up with the sensations coming in. Painting has changed to a more layering process, within the key of the whole, which can change any time and must be kept up with. The physical issue of oil paint remaining wet, calls for a lot of preparation. I must be able to completely relocate an area if desired without the mess interfering with the mixtures I want.

I begin to see a trace. Something that's left over and doesn't look like it was touched by a human being.
When I see something as if was coming from more than myself, painting begins, for real.